Is it possible to install glibc 2.1.3 with LFS 3.3?

Dagmar d'Surreal dagmar at speakeasy.net
Fri Oct 25 19:19:05 PDT 2002

On Sat, 26 Oct 2002, Ian Molton wrote:

> On Sat, 26 Oct 2002 01:08:58 +0000 (UTC)
> dagmar at speakeasy.net ("Dagmar d'Surreal") wrote:
>

> > You are doomed.  Find out whatever distribution it was that they used
> > as their target (probably an old RedHat) and install that, then apply
> > every security update you can to it and disable everything that isn't
> > being used.
>
> Cant you install both glibcs in parallel ?

Oh, he can probably do that with some LD_* variable magic, _provided_ he
can get a binary version of glibc-2.1.3 as well as everything else that
links to that application.

It's the actual _compilation_ of that version of glibc that I consider
highly unlikely to be successful--or rather, while it might compile, I
wouldn't count on it to work, and I certainly wouldn't recommend anyone
who isn't _really_ familiar to even attempt it.  There are just far too
many things which might pose nearly-insurmountable technical obstacles for
it to make sense to do something other than just get an old distro CD with
the appropriate version of glibc on it and _start_ with that.  If things
work out he can *try* bringing the necessary binaries over to a new system
with modern tools.  To contrast, I'm not even 100% sure about the
stability one can expect out of a glibc built on a 2.2.x kernel being run
on a 2.4.x system, but I place the odds on it a LOT higher than the odds
of trying to compile that ancient glibc so far "upstream".

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org