Is it possible to install glibc 2.1.3 with LFS 3.3?

Dagmar d'Surreal dagmar at speakeasy.net
Fri Oct 25 11:10:46 PDT 2002

On Thu, 24 Oct 2002, Andre Jochems wrote:

> Hi,
> I am using LFS 3.3 as basis for building an Oracle Database server. The database installation requieres glibc 2.1.3 to function correctly. I used LFS 3.3 as basis for the Oracle installation but comes with glibc 2.2.5. If i try to replace the version with 2.1.3 i get the following error:

You are doomed.  Find out whatever distribution it was that they used as
their target (probably an old RedHat) and install that, then apply every
security update you can to it and disable everything that isn't being
used.

The reason I'm saying this is because upgrading from glibc 2.1.3 to 2.2.5
could only be accomplished by a very intricate dance of recompiling the
compiler, compiling a slightly higher glibc, recompiling a different
compiler version, going a little higher with glibc this time, etc.   Doing
this is reverse is likely to be a fool's errand, since it would _almost
certainly_ mean recompiling most of your system at each step because
everything that linked to the newer (old for someone doing this) glibc
would cease working almost immediately.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org