Boot fails with 'unable to read superblock'

churcher at ihug.com.au churcher at ihug.com.au
Fri Oct 25 15:11:56 PDT 2002

Trying a slightly atypical install using the LFS hint to install alongside an
existing linux system. /boot is on its own partition, so I have:

  /boot /dev/hda2
  /     /dev/hda4

Install was to /lfs. I compiled the kernel with ext3 support built-in (no
modules yet). lilo.conf points the image to /lfs/boot/lfskernel. /lfs/etc/fstab
has /old-distro instead of /, but is otherwise unremarkable.

Problem: the kernel is apparently found but mounting partitions seems to fail:

EXT3-fs: unable to read superblock
attempt to access beyond end of device
03:04: rw=0, want=33, limit=1
EXT2-fs: unable to read superblock
FAT: bogus logical sector size 0
attempt to access beyond end of device
03:04: rw=0, want=33, limit=1
isofs_read_super: bread failed, dev=03:04, iso_blknum=16, block=32
kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k nls_ios8859-1, errno = 2

I can still boot back into the initial linux install (a RH beta). Any thoughts
on resolving the above issue?

--
Cheers,
Rich.