users and scripts

Eric Miller emiller at techskills.com
Thu Oct 24 12:54:39 PDT 2002

I am doing my 4.0 install partially scripted.  I am wondering, if an install
script is run as user lfs or root or whatever, does the script run as that
user, or as a system uid?

Just wanna make sure that running scripts during install won't create
ownership problems because things were built as a function of a script, even
though the script was executed by the correct user (root or lfs as required
by the book).

This may sound like a silly question, but here is the root of it:  I have
all of chapter 5 completely scripted, and it runs flawlessly.  The script
declares LFS=/mnt/lfs and some other env variables that are useful (e.g.
src=/$LFS/static/src/), and the script itself uses these to install all of
Chapter 5 without error.  However, when the script is finished, and is
kicked back out to the prompt, if I echo $LFS or $src, I get nothing?  Yes,
I have two seperate scripts, one for pre su - lfs and one for post su -lfs.
Both scripts declare both values at the beginning and run perfectly.

Is there a difference between 'LFS=/mnt/lfs' and 'export LFS=/mnt/lfs'?  I
have tried it both ways and still get nothing when I echo either $value
after the script has finished successfully.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org