initrd, /dev/root, VFS, 2.4.19 heaven :-)

martial daumas martial at nasgaia.org
Thu Oct 24 00:05:13 PDT 2002

Hello,

Le Wed, 23 Oct 2002 14:17:02 +0000 (UTC)
richard at nezumi.plus.com (Richard Lightman) a écris:

> Get rid of that '-o 0 -g 0'. If I was root, it would be unneccesary,
> and as I am not, it causes errors.

Yes, you're absolutely right, I'll change it.

> Get rid of everything after inserting modules.
> The kernel will mount the root partition if /root/ is in the ramdisk
> The kernel will mount /root/dev if you configured it to maount at boot.
> The kernel will pivot_root for you. linuxrx cannot, as it is not process 1.
> You can start devfsd from your init scripts.
>
> Tell me if that does not work.

Well, i've just woken up, I immediatly tested your method, while thinking "baaa, it
sounds just too easy, it won't work, it can't work, let's just test it to have an usable
error  output to post at lfs.support". Stupid me! I just did what you say, i passed
root=/dev/hda3 (i'll try later to see if i can get rid of that with rdev), and it worked
at the very first attempt, and everything plays nice, / is mounted, init is run
when initrd is over etc...  And when i `mount` , i get this:

rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
/dev/root.old on /initrd type ext2 (rw)
proc on /initrd/proc type proc (rw)
/dev/root on / type ext3 (rw)
none on /dev type devfs (rw)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)

And, this time, umounting /initrd is easy, just have to umount /initrd/proc first - i'll
have our init deal with that. Great. My error on this was to presume lots of things
, and i tried tons of scenarios, but i should have started the simplest one - I'll
retain the lesson.

BTW, do you think that it could interest some people if I make an LFS hint with
my (when cleaned and adapted to LFS) mk_initrd crap ?

1000 thanks Richard, you made me see clear, and be sure that it will help us
a lot to achieve our project

sincerely,

--
Martial Daumas