need swap when installing from CD host system?

Chris Lingard chris at stockwith.co.uk
Wed Oct 23 11:00:40 PDT 2002

Richard Lightman wrote:

> * Chris Lingard <chris at stockwith.co.uk> [2002-10-23 17:38]:
>>
>> The CD uses 5Mb of memory, set up as a file, with mkswap run on it
>> /swapspace   swap        swap    defaults        0 0
>
> Why? Swap is used when the system is short of memory. You have just
> taken 5MB of memory away and given it back in a form with extra
> overheads - vm and filesystem. The machine will run perfectly
> well without swap until you have partitioned the hard disc, made
> some swap partitions, and told the machine to use them.

Guess I am old fashioned, just does not seem right to have no swap
I think of it as an emergency reserve.  Funny enough, when it compiles
gcc or glibc it sometimes uses a tiny bit of swap, though this depends
on kernel version

>> the root partition is another 30Mb of memory).
>>
> Why? If the cd is your root partition, only the pages of programs
> you need are actually using ram. The rest will be swap in from the
> drive as required. If you want to keep the foot print on the cd
> small, use mkzisofs. That way you can choose which files are compressed
> and which aren't.

No,  the CD is mounted on the root partition.  I want it to look like
a real Linux system, so I have a writable root, /dev and /etc

This way you log in at level three, it has gpm, lynx and X
You can build a simple package like bash in /tmp

The problem with all CDs is functionality.  I do not want an installation
menu.  Instead, the user has a real Linux system, and can read the book
and do their own commands.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org