need swap when installing from CD host system?

Chris Lingard chris at stockwith.co.uk
Wed Oct 23 09:12:08 PDT 2002

Richard Lightman wrote:

> If the disc is using a ram disk for swap, it needs fixing.
> My CD's use swap space as a ramdisk. Ramdisks that work this way

> You will have to find out where this CD is storing things. If lots
> goes into a tmpfs, you will need lots of swap. If stuff goes onto
> a hard disk, 128MB of ram should be enough to install two copies
> of LFS simultaneously while reading four HOW-TO's.
>
> Your final system will need swap anyway, so you might as well
> create it and use it.

The CD uses 5Mb of memory, set up as a file, with mkswap run on it
/swapspace   swap        swap    defaults        0 0
Provided you have enough memory, it will work OK; (the root partition
is another 30Mb of memory).

I think I recommend at least 128Mb memory

Thank you Eric for your remarks.  See the README in the root, and
have a look at the script /cdrom/install-lfs :)

Chris

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org