need swap when installing from CD host system?

Richard Lightman richard at nezumi.plus.com
Wed Oct 23 08:45:05 PDT 2002

* Eric Miller <emiller at techskills.com> [2002-10-23 16:23]:

> One more question:  will I run into problems when I chroot if I don't have a
> swap partition set up on the physical disk?  It seems that the CD systems
> use RAMdisk for swap (Im guessing) but I am concerned that I will have
> problems when I chroot if there is not a swap identified on the HDD.
>
> Any guidance?

If the disc is using a ram disk for swap, it needs fixing.
My CD's use swap space as a ramdisk. Ramdisks that work this way
will show up as tmpfs:

$ mount | grep tmpfs
tmp on /tmp type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec)
dev_shm on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec)
var_tmp on /var/tmp type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
var_lock on /var/lock type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec)
var_run on /var/run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec)
lfs_tmp on /mnt/lfs/tmp type tmpfs (rw)
lfs_var_lock on /mnt/lfs/var/lock type tmpfs (rw)
lfs_var_run on /mnt/lfs/var/run type tmpfs (rw)
var_tmp on /mnt/lfs/var/tmp type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)

You will have to find out where this CD is storing things. If lots
goes into a tmpfs, you will need lots of swap. If stuff goes onto
a hard disk, 128MB of ram should be enough to install two copies
of LFS simultaneously while reading four HOW-TO's.

Your final system will need swap anyway, so you might as well
create it and use it.

Richard

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org