script file extension/syntax

Tushar T tush at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 23 08:18:11 PDT 2002

Eric Miller wrote:

>What is the file extension for bash scripts, and can I just change the file
>extension on a .txt file to that and have it work properly?  Also, what is

There is no fixed extension, Just add a #!/bin/sh at the top of the file
and make the file executable (chmod +x file).

>the correct path to drop the script in to have it work from the command
>line, I think its /bin or /sbin.  Does executing a script in linux require a

Whatever you set your PATH variable to (Just like DOS).

>special syntax (like @<scriptname>) or do I just type the filename if its in
>the right path?

Just type the filename.

Looking at the questions, I would advice you to checkout the HOWTOs at
http://www.tldp.org before starting an LFS build.

--
Tushar Teredesai
LFS ID: 1377