initrd, /dev/root, VFS, 2.4.19 hell :(

Richard Lightman richard at nezumi.plus.com
Wed Oct 23 07:14:56 PDT 2002

* martial daumas <martial at nasgaia.org> [2002-10-23 14:48]:
> Le Wed, 23 Oct 2002 10:46:50 +0000 (UTC)
> richard at nezumi.plus.com (Richard Lightman) a écris:
>
> > A good idea, but not here are we are a bit off topic. If it is big,
> > send it to me, otherwise, I am on lfs-chat and blfs-support. It would
> > help a lot if you said what the root partition is on.
>
> Hello,
>
> i've attached the different files i've written to create initrd (that's the version that used to worked with 2.4.18), i hope
> it's not too crappy ;o) ah, the test partition i'm trying to boot resides on
> ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part3, which /dev/hda3 is linked to with devfsd
>
> here's the grub stuff:
> title hda3 initrd ext3 test
> root (hd0,2)
> kernel /boot/bzImage vga=0x123 root=<whatever>
> initrd /boot/initrd.gz
>
> it's an ext3 part, i'll re-try with reiserfs if things goes better

So far, I have just read Makefile, and linuxrc.

Makefile:
$ make install DESTDIR=/var/tmp/initrd
install -o 0 -g 0 -m 755 -d /var/tmp/initrd/usr/sbin
install: cannot change owner and/or group of `/var/tmp/initrd': Operation not permitted
make: *** [install] Error 1

Get rid of that '-o 0 -g 0'. If I was root, it would be unneccesary,
and as I am not, it causes errors.

linuxrc:

Get rid of everything after inserting modules.
The kernel will mount the root partition if /root/ is in the ramdisk
The kernel will mount /root/dev if you configured it to maount at boot.
The kernel will pivot_root for you. linuxrx cannot, as it is not process 1.
You can start devfsd from your init scripts.

Tell me if that does not work.

Richard
--
Je parle français comme une vache espanol.
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org