initrd, /dev/root, VFS, 2.4.19 hell :(

martial daumas martial at nasgaia.org
Wed Oct 23 04:01:07 PDT 2002

Le Wed, 23 Oct 2002 10:46:50 +0000 (UTC)
richard at nezumi.plus.com (Richard Lightman) a écris:

> A good idea, but not here are we are a bit off topic. If it is big,
> send it to me, otherwise, I am on lfs-chat and blfs-support. It would
> help a lot if you said what the root partition is on.

Hello,

i've attached the different files i've written to create initrd (that's the version that used to worked with 2.4.18), i hope
it's not too crappy ;o) ah, the test partition i'm trying to boot resides on
ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part3, which /dev/hda3 is linked to with devfsd

here's the grub stuff:
title hda3 initrd ext3 test
root (hd0,2)
kernel /boot/bzImage vga=0x123 root=<whatever>
initrd /boot/initrd.gz

it's an ext3 part, i'll re-try with reiserfs if things goes better

thx,