gcc-3.2 compile errors: make[1]: *** [cplus-dem.o] Error 1

GWright geoffwright at rogers.com
Tue Oct 22 14:56:02 PDT 2002

Hi,

I am not sure about the protocol on this one.  I am also having difficulties
with the gcc-3.2 compile but they seem to be different from the kaiyi's
original post...(gcc 3.2 compile errors)

please let me know if I should have added this to the current thread or if it
was ok to start a new thread.

doc: 4.0-rc1
packages: lfs-packages-4.0-rc1.tar
base distro: Mandrake 9.0 2.4.19-16mdk

I was able to compile gcc in Chapter 5.  However, the compile in Chapter 6
exits with error codes about a file or directory
missing...bits/sys_errlist.h: No such file or directory.

I finished installing glibc yesterday night and then rebooted this afternoon.

I chrooted (pg. 69) and mounted proc.

After untarring gcc-3.2, I applied the patch (the book just says to apply
gcc-3.2.patch here...in Chap. 5 we applied two patches, this one and
"nofixincludes").

I made ../gcc-build and cd'ed into it.

configure did not produce any unusual messages and created the Makefile
successfully.

"make bootstrap", however, exited with the following error messages...
regex.c:1392: warning: traditional C rejects string concatenation
In file included from ../../gcc-3.2/libiberty/cplus-dem.c:41:
/static/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.2/include/stdio.h:561:30:
bits/sys_errlist.h: No such file or directory
make[1]: *** [cplus-dem.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/tarballs/gcc-build/libiberty'
make: *** [all-libiberty] Error 2

1. Is the warning anything to worry about?
2. Any ideas why this bits/sys_errlist.h is missing?
3. Do I need to apply the "nofixincludes" patch like I did in Chapter 5?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
geoff
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org