gcc 3.2 compile errors

Bill Maltby - LFS Related lfsbill at wlmcs.com
Tue Oct 22 04:12:14 PDT 2002

On Tue, 22 Oct 2002, kaiyi lin wrote:

>I just built gcc 3.2 once again with fresh source code.
>Interesting but also very frustrating that I got this time
>totally different error msg. (I actually did it 2 times today and 2
>times this error msg)

Several have seen this sort of thing. Post some machine config info: CPU,
ram, swap, etc. When memory and/or swap is short, there have been times
that it seems things overheat (the compiles of gcc, glibc and a few other
things seem to stress the computer most). Check that your case, cpu and
poser supply fans are all working properly. Is the room "warm"? Try
running with the covers off the box. Try going to the directory (chroot if
that is where it was when it failed) manually and type the make
instruction again. If it fails again, but in a later module, chances are
good it is heat.

If the fans are working, make sure that no excessive accumulation of
"gunk" is on the components. Vacuum if needed.

In that case, you may get by the problem eventually by just pausing a few
minutes and typing the make command (as shown in the book) repeatedly.

Get and run memtest86. Of course, if the problem is heat, it may show bad
memory when it is really not.

--
Bill Maltby
billm at wlmcs.com