gcc 3.2 compile errors

Dagmar d'Surreal dagmar at speakeasy.net
Mon Oct 21 16:16:03 PDT 2002

On Mon, 21 Oct 2002, kaiyi lin wrote:

> > You've specified the wrong architecture. Just do a default by the book
> > build and don't try to mess with optimizations.
>
> Thanks for reply. But I DID just like what book says at first. And I got
> the Error of varasm.c. Then I tried the -march  option.

Let's try a different approach to explaining this... There's a very good
reason the book has the parameters it does for building gcc...  Slightly
more than half the time you get a broken (to greater or lesser degrees)
compiler when you don't do it the way the book says.

If you can't compile the thing the way the book says, INSTEAD of trying to
do something completely ill-advised when you build the compiler, let's
figure out what the heck is going wrong with your system.

With what little information you've been willing to give us, about the only
thing I can suggest is that you start by upgrading the kernel on your host
system to 2.4.19.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org