libncurses.a and libcurses.a

ivo van doorn ivd at euronet.nl
Mon Oct 21 12:05:25 PDT 2002

Laurence Turpin wrote:

> I have been trying to install linux from scratch by partioning my disk
> with
> two partions and using Mandrake 8.0 as my system that I am going to
> compile
> my linux from scratch code and the other partion that contains linux from
> scratch.
>
> I was able to follow the linux from scratch instructions fine up until it
> told me to look for the following static libraries.
> libncurses.a and libcurses.a
> On Mandrake 8.0 I can only find libncurses.so. Which is a shared library.
> When I try to compile bash it fails trying to find the lcurses library.
> What do I do?
> please help

A copy from the book:

Installation of Bash

Before you attempt to install Bash, you have to check to make sure your
distribution has the /usr/lib/libcurses.a and /usr/lib/libncurses.a
files. If your host distribution is an LFS system, all files will be
present if you followed the instructions of the book version you read
exactly.

If both of the files are missing, you have to install the Ncurses
development package. This package is often called something like
ncurses-dev or ncurses-static. If this package is already installed, or
you just installed it, check for the two files again. Often the
libcurses.a file is (still) missing. If so, then create libcurses.a as a
symlink by running the following commands as user root:

ln -s libncurses.a /usr/lib/libcurses.a

This means that you must check if your ncurses development packages are
installed. if not install them.
After that check if the *.a files excist now, but whe only the
libncurses.a files you must set the proper link...

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org