booting kernel..... then nada, zip, time to power cycle

Popov, Ivo bivenceto at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 18 20:36:56 PDT 2002

--- Gerard Beekmans <gerard at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
> On October 18, 2002 06:06 pm, Edward Hoohenkerk wrote:
> > Just a question: what kind of winmodem do you have?
> > Is it a conexant chipset based modem?
> > If that's the case than there are drivers at:
> > www.mbsi.ca
> > I have an e-tech pci56rwm (winmodem) using a conexant hcf rh56
> > chipset and it works fantastic in my suse 7.3 prof.
>
> Who cares about Suse. The question is: does it work outside of SuSe
> too (ie: a general Linux driver so it'll work just about anywhere
> like in LFS)?

Indeed it does. It took me about a day to actually figure out what was
going wrong with the installation, but it takes less than a few seconds
to compile the driver if you know what you're doing. I started from a
word-for-word installation of LFS 3.3 so this should work for most
people.

You have to manually set what compiler is to be used -- after the
source is unpacked, edit modules/common.mak and set the CC variable to
gcc ("CC = gcc") and comment out the other CC definition.

After doing this, do a 'touch /etc/modules.conf'. Yes, hard to believe,
but if this or 'conf.modules' is not present on the system, the
installation will simply hang (an invocation of sed cannot find
modules.conf so it ends up waiting for standard input forever).

I just thought I'd post this in case someone in the future decides to
install the drivers and has the same problem. To make it easy on the
search engines, these instructions are for the Conexant/Rockwell HSF
modem, but will probably work for HCF ones, too.

I've submitted a bug report about this to the author of the driver, but
have gotten no response. Perhaps it would be a good idea to add the
'touch /etc/modules.conf' to the book, just in case other install
scripts have a similar bug.

=====
=====
Ivo Popov