lfs init: Id "8" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Oct 18 16:37:08 PDT 2002

On October 18, 2002 04:59 pm, julius junghans wrote:
> hi
> this message appears in my sys.log file for all consoles...i copied this
> system from my workstation with cp -a, the dev dir was created with the lfs
> 3.1 script (its an lfs system)
> on my workstation this inittab works fine...but the copy bings up that
> error whats wrong ?

You sure it says Id "8" respawning too fast and not Id "c8"?

If you meant c8 (and the same for the others like c1, c2, etc) then something
is wrong with your agetty lines. Like Billy said, try one from the LFS book
exactly as shown and see if it works then.

Something else you can try is this:

Boot the LFS system and pass the init=/bin/bash kernel parameter to your
bootloader (lilo or grub). Then when you get a shell, run those lines from
inittab and see if you get an error, so run:

/sbin/agetty 38400 tty2 linux

Switch to console 2 (alt+f2) and see if you can login. You probably can't
because you'll get an error when you run the above command since that's what
init tells you: the command exists immediately and therefore respawns too may
times.

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org