booting kernel..... then nada, zip, time to power cycle

Scott Thornley sthornley at mindspring.com
Fri Oct 18 11:38:24 PDT 2002

At 02:15 PM 10/18/2002 -0400, you wrote:

>On Fri, 18 Oct 2002, Scott Thornley wrote:
>
> > Is there a mechanical way of  importing the .config file used by SuSE  ?
> > That might get me a bit closer than I am, as other than being currently
> > unable to use the Winmodem, SuSE is working quite well for me.
>
>IIRC, in the book is a reference (in the chapter08?) about using make
>oldconfig. Focus there and I think you'll see what you need. It will
>prompt you for any new config settings that are not in the ol config you
>copy in.

So, it's perfectly proper to do something like:
make mrproper
cp config-suse .config
make oldconfig
make dep
.
.
rather than:

make mrproper
make menuconfig
make dep
.
.

???

I suppose I should just give it a try. Just feeling a bit lazy.

> > Also, this is a quite bit off topic, but apparently you have the option to
> > load an image during boot. Does anyone know where that image is kept, and
> > how to implement it's being loaded ?
>
>Use the LFS search - this has been touched on many times, many ways.

Ah yes, more laziness. Look for the important stuff and get lazy when
asking about eye candy...

Scott

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org