Changing processor

Dagmar d'Surreal dagmar at speakeasy.net
Thu Oct 17 22:27:51 PDT 2002

On Fri, 18 Oct 2002, Nicolas FRANCOIS wrote:

> Great. Another one, more accurate with my wife's views on budget :
>
> Athlon 1800+
> Chipset 420D (with AGP Nvidia video integrated)
> 512 Mo DDRRAM 2100
>
> How about this ? Less than 300 euros solution ? Anything better, and still
> compatible with Linux ? Is the 420D chipset recognized by X-Window ?

Hopefully this response will ease your concerns...

At this point in time there is _very little_ hardware that _won't_ work
with Linux, excluding reasonably esoteric things like unusual USB devices,
some types of WinModems, and bizarre orbital satellite transcievers (well,
it's kind of 50/50 with those).

RAM?  No problem--the motherboard handles all that.

CPUs?  No problem, provided you're using something made by Intel,
Transmeta, AMD, or Motorola.

Video cards?  Almost certainly, although support for some ATI models is
sketchy in places, you can always count on getting at least a text
console, or a VESA mode working.  Once again, the motherboard handles most
of the grunt work.

Radio tuner cards?  Video tuner cards?  No problem.  The V4l (video4linux)
project has pretty thorough coverage for probably 95% of what's out there.

Network cards?  No problem.  Unless you've got one of the very few
ethernet cards that David Becker calls garbage... if it plugs into a slot,
it'll almost certainly work.  (ALWAYS try the driver that's part of the
kernel source first.)  If you're using Token Ring, we have a "don't ask,
don't tell" policy.  The same goes for twinax.  GigE should be fine, but
check the kernel source first.

Keyboards?  Mice?  Don't make me laugh.

Sound cards?  Well, if it doesn't plug directly into a 24-channel studio
mixer, you should be good to go.

Disk controllers?  IDE, SCSI, just about anything will work--even some
(like EISA or MCA that should simply be recycled into much more useable
novelty clipboards and drink coasters) that probably shouldn't be allowed
to.

Crypto-accellerator cards?  Ask your vendor.  They'll know.  They'll
probably work fine.

Proprietary DSL-ish hybrid media cards...  Umm...  Forget them.  The 'P'
word is the giveaway there.  Sadly, these people are usually basing
everything about their wire security on the assumption the user won't be
able to put them into some sort of promiscuous mode.  For the three that I
know about, two of them are already definitely useable under Linux, but
the people doing so aren't going to be willing to talk about it.

Linux is truly at the point where you can take pretty much anything you
can buy at the store and throw Linux on it and expect to have everything
working within a few hours.

In fact, I'll go out on a limb here and say that even though I have never
heard of that integrated video card you mention, I doubt XFree86 4.2.1
will so much as blink at it if you use the nVidia drivers.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org