Changing processor

Dagmar d'Surreal dagmar at speakeasy.net
Thu Oct 17 11:52:08 PDT 2002

On Thu, 17 Oct 2002, Nicolas FRANCOIS wrote:

> I want to upgrade. Now I have a PII 233 (with LFS 3.don't remember), I
> want to move to :
>
> Motherboard KT333 from VIA
> Athlon XP 1800+
> DDR 256Mo
> Graphic card GeForce 4Mx
>
> This is a 300 to 400 euros upgrade, so I want to know if there is any
> incompatibilities with Linux. Especially the GC.

What's the GC?

> Are you aware of any possible problem ?

This is an incredibly trivial issue.  Before you change the motherboard
out, you'll want to recompile your kernel, selecting the _plain pentium_
target, or take some minor chances (fairly unlikely) that being built for
PII's it might not work on an Athlon.   Probably more dangerous than this
would be that you might forget to reconfigure X before you shut down the
old hardware if you are booting to a graphical runlevel.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org