problems with glibc-2.2.5

Archaic archaic at comcast.net
Thu Oct 17 12:58:36 PDT 2002

On Thu, Oct 17, 2002 at 09:58:38AM -0400, sptddolphin at netscape.net
wrote:
> I took your advice and downloaded the changed files erased everything
> except for the tarballs and started over with LFS 4.0.  That
> eliminated the problems prior to the glibc error.  However, I'm still
> having the same problem with glibc-2.2.5.  I did notice I was getting
> "signed comparison"? warnings with quite a few files during the static
> compilation of GCC 3.2 in chap. 5.

Warnings are usually not fatal. They usually come from code that isn't
standards compliant. GCC-3.2 more strictly conforms to standards, hence
more possible warnings. Not to worry as long as it builds.

> How do you check what environment variables are set.  I haven't set
> any but I did see formit_frame_buffer come up during compilation.

Some optimizations are built into the makefiles. This is usually done by
the programmer with specific reasons and with belief they were stable
and fine for default builds. Again, not to worry. However, you can type
'set' or 'env' at the prompt to get different variables, or
alternatively, if you know the name of the variable (like CFLAGS, for
instance) you could just type:

echo $CFLAGS

and see if it prints a blank line or not. If you haven't set them and
are paranoid (or if you have set them and want to remove them) type:

unset VARIABLE_NAME.

So, did LFS-4.0 build all the way for you? All you mention are warnings.

--
Archaic

--
"The power to tax involves the power to destroy;...the power to destroy
may defeat and render useless the power to create...."

- Chief Justice John Marshall, 1819.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org