LFS this weekend! WOOOOO!!!

Rob Park rbpark at ualberta.ca
Tue Oct 15 06:39:12 PDT 2002

On Monday 14 October 2002 02:46 pm, Ian Molton wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Oct 2002 20:11:47 +0000 (UTC)
> rbpark at ualberta.ca (Rob Park) wrote:
> > Looks good to me. the bass/treble sliders in my mixer simply do
> > nothing. all the other sliders work just fine.
>
> which mixer is that?

All of them.

> I find that some mixers assume the card has these controls, when in
> fact, many newer cards implement the controls in softloaded microcode,
> not present in the kernel drivers, often. My SBlive! is one such card.

On previous lfs installs, all mixers (that I know of: umix, aumix, kmix, and
some others) had no bass/treble control until I installed the opensource
creative emu10k1 drivers for my sblive. Then I got working bass/treble
controls.

My last LFS using devfs, and my current Mandrake (also using devfs) have
bass/treble controls that do not work (despite my efforts of trying to
install the emu10k1 drivers from creative). This says to me that something in
/dev/sound/mixer (or whatever) is telling the mixers that these controls
exist (and are functional), when in reality, they simply do nothing.

> PS. why dont you leave the audio stuff as root:audio and add feztaa to
> the audio group?

Because that's the way Mandrake decided to install itself.

--
Rob Park
http://www.ualberta.ca/~rbpark

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org