Lilo Version conflict

Stefan Krah sfk1 at bigfoot.com
Mon Oct 14 13:51:01 PDT 2002

* Hannes Birnbacher <noemail915 at hannes-birnbacher.de> wrote:
> after finishing the LFS 4 book 20021005 (Host System was Suse 7.3)
                                                           ^^^^^^^^
Do you have the CDs? There is a rescue system on CD 1.

> So, my PC now does boot MS-windows directly, and the new LFS 4
> System as well as my host distribution are lost for the time
> being.

My suggestion: Start the rescue system, mount the host partition
on /mnt/, create /tmp/boot/, mv /boot/* /tmp/boot, mount your
real boot partition on /boot, cp /tmp/boot/* /boot (to repair
possibly fscked boot.b and so forth).

Then check if the entries in /mnt/etc/lilo.conf are correct.
Then run: /sbin/lilo -C /mnt/etc/lilo.conf

All IMHO and (for obvious reasons) untested.

> If there is a way to convince the LFS Lilo 22.2 to write a MBR
> after all, even if some of the files on my /boot partition are
> from 21.7, I would be very grateful for a hint.

Why mix the two?

Stefan Krah
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org