Lilo Version conflict

Hannes Birnbacher noemail915 at hannes-birnbacher.de
Mon Oct 14 11:06:14 PDT 2002

Hi,

after finishing the LFS 4 book 20021005 (Host System was Suse
7.3) and successfully re-booting I deleted some entries in
lilo.conf, like the February 2002 LFS version because it was
obsolete and an other boot configuration with the LFS 4 system
with the Kernel of my host distribution, because the old LFS was
replaced by the current version 4 and the kernel I compiled
following the LFS 4 book was properly working, so there was no
need for the entry using the Host system Kernel for the LFS
distribution.

The /boot files are on a separate Partition, which was mounted
properly in fstab of LFS 4 as well as of the host distribution.

When I wanted to write those changes into the MBR with
/sbin/lilo, it said it found the MBR of LILO 21.7 version of my
host distribution, and being Lilo 22.2, it did not make any
changes.

I therefore typed /sbin/lilo - u so I could have Lilo 22.2 write
a new MBR, with the same result. Then I chose to type /sbin/lilo
-U for the same reason, but Lilo still would not write a new MBR,
now stating that there was a file boot.? (don't clearly remember)
in my partition mounted as /boot and this file was from Lilo
21.7.

So, my PC now does boot MS-windows directly, and the new LFS 4
System as well as my host distribution are lost for the time
being.

Furthermore, the host system seems to be destroyed by some file
error in connection with the keymaps system. I found out that I
had typed quertz in the symlink to defkeymap.map.gz, because in
the german language there is never used the "q" without a
following "u", but this was wrong, of course. I corrected the
typo, but in the meantime the host system was gone for whatever
reason, being in an endless loop "writing (???) to a read-only
file".

If there is a way to convince the LFS Lilo 22.2 to write a MBR
after all, even if some of the files on my /boot partition are
from 21.7, I would be very grateful for a hint.

TIA,

Hannes
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org