partitioning

Archaic archaic at comcast.net
Mon Oct 14 08:46:31 PDT 2002

On Mon, Oct 14, 2002 at 10:31:43AM -0400, Balazs Otto Czifra wrote:
> I have a machine w/ a rather strange hw configuration. It's an ASUS A7-V,
> with a PCI SCSI adapter. I have a cd-rom, a small 1 gig hd, and a jazz
> drive on the SCSI adapter. Additionally, I have a 15, 8, 4, and 3 gig
> drive on the A7-V's Promise ATA-100 controller. Finally, I have a CD-RW on
> the Primary IDE. Do any of you have suggestions on how to best configure
> my hardware for LFS and what sort of partitioning scheme to use? I would
> like to get this figured out before attempting an LFS build so that I
> don't end up having to move stuff around and start over.

You are asking a totally subjective question of which you can find
thousands of different opinions. So here's my opinion. :)
Use the fastest hard drive for LFS. Use part of the second fastest HD
for swap. Of course, you could mount / on one drive /var on another,
/root on a third /opt on a 4th /usr and a 5th, etc.... It's all up to
you. Have fun and experiment. You can also build it all on one partition
and then later move just bits and pieces to other drives as your usage
and needs change.

--
Archaic

--
"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit
it.  Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can

- Abraham Lincoln, 4 April 1861

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org