Informations about gcc optimization

Tushar T tush at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 12 21:46:11 PDT 2002

Ken Moffat wrote:

>On Fri, 11 Oct 2002, Tushar T wrote:
>

>>Yep, it would be better to use -O2 on the core packages. Also
>>-fomit-frame-pointer is supposed to be good. I would also suggest a -w
>>unless you like seeing all the warnings. Also check out the gcc install
>>file, it gives you flags to optimize gcc compilation. I have been using
>>those without problems. BTW, never never optimize binutils.
>>

>Never ? Both -O2 and -Os have always worked fine for me on a K6. Or do
>you mean "don't use exotic optimisations" (I remember you have tried a
>lot more with these than I've ever bothered with.)

-O2 is used by default in binutils. I use "-O2 -s -w" for binutils.

Tried is a good word, I have tested out agressive optimizations, but not
used them on a regular basis. For example, for mozilla, I did test out a
build with those exotic optimizations, checked out the build for
usability, but never used it on a regular basis.

--
Tushar Teredesai
LFS ID: 1377

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org