No SWAP and No Login Prompt

Justin Hibbits jrh29 at po.cwru.edu
Thu Oct 10 15:20:50 PDT 2002

On Thu, Oct 10, 2002 at 07:09:04PM -0300, Aaron Lawrence Broad wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just installed LFS from the CVS dated Oct 6th, 2002.  Everything
> compiled well.  And I added the new kernel to my GRUB boot manager in my
> gentoo installation.  Rebooted. The kernel came up fine.. and the rest
> of the boot script seemed to all work flawlessly except two problems:
>
> The first one I think is minor in that the system should still work.
> That is the swap device doesn't get "swapon"ed. Its says it can't stat
> /dev/hda5 (which is my swap device).  It says so such file or device..
> or something like that.I copied the line fromt he LFS manual with
> /dev/hda5 set in my /etc/fstab.  That one didn't work.  SO I copied the
> swap line from /etc/fstab on my gentoo partition and still the same
> error.
>
> I press enter to get throught th red text on that.  ANd everything else
> comes up fine.  Lots of green OKs.. my networking, everything. Then it
> gets to the point where I think it should display the login prompt but
> it just stops.  Doesn't display a login prompt.  I waited from 20
> mins..still nothing.  I though maybe it was /dev/pts.. so I tried
> mounting and unmounting it in fstab.. still same error...   The system
> isn't locked up though. because if I press ctrl-alt-delete it does a
> nice orderly shutdown.
>
> Anyways, if I get those two things working, its a great little book.
> Hope someone knows what my problem is.

Tell me this...are you using devfs? If not...are your devices created (maybe a
stupid question, but you never know).

devfs changes the device names, so you would instead have
/dev/discs/disc0/part5.  and your tty's become /dev/vc/*

Justin Hibbits

--
Registered Linux user 260206

"One World, One Web, One Program"