What does this do? (was: Re: MailMonitor for Exchange delivery from quarantine)

Bryan Breen Bryan.C.Breen.1 at gsfc.nasa.gov
Thu Oct 10 17:02:27 PDT 2002

At 20:09 10/10/02 +0100, Dylan wrote:
>Just for the record, how would one stop the dd? What I mean, I suppose, is
how
>di I go about fining out which process to kill?

IIRC, /dev/urandom will provide continuous random data as long as a process
attempts to read from it. Basically it is a never ending file of gibberish
(if you tried to open it in a text editor or at it to the screen). So dd
would attempt to just keep pumping that data into /dev/null, and since that
just discards the data, you would never run out of file space, and hence,
the process would run indefinitely.

So if you *did* start the process. You could probably just stop it by a
<Ctrl>-C on the same console you issued the command, or on a separate
console, use ps to find the process number of that dd command, and then
issue a kill [process number]. Nice and simple. Or even easier, you could
probably get away with "killall dd".

- Bryan
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org