Grub installation on XFS filesystem

Richard Peters r.a.peters at student.tue.nl
Thu Oct 10 03:05:00 PDT 2002

From: Luca

Hi there!

Building LFS-4.0 I have decided to use GRUB instead of Lilo, however I'm
having some problems (I use grub-0.91).

The grub device map looks like this:
(fd0)   /dev/fd0
(hd0) /dev/hda
(hd1) /dev/hdb
(hd2) /dev/hde

LFS-4.0 is built on /dev/hda, host system is Suse-8.0 on /dev/hde.

I have partitioned /dev/hda in this way:
/dev/hda1 24MB        Boot      xfs
/dev/hda2 514MB       Swap    swap
/dev/hda3 40000MB    /           xfs

At grub prompt screen I type find /boot/grub/stage1 and it returns Error
15: file not found; I type root(hd0,0) and it returns Filesystem type
unknown, partition type 0x83 and at least I type
grub-install --root-directory=/boot /dev/hda and it returns df: warning:
cannot read table of mounted filesystems No such file or directory.

I have copied in /boot/grub stage1 stage2 xfs_stage1_5.

Hope someone could help me.

Bye,
Luca

If you mount /dev/hda1 to /boot, you probably need to type 'find
/grub/stage1' as grub is in the first directory of /dev/hda1. When grub
says Filesystem type unknown, you might need to recompile grub, enabling
xfs in ./configure, and use all new files, so also the new stage1,
stage2, xfs_stage

Richard Peters

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org