Grub installation on XFS filesystem

Luca aiwass at webtechna.com
Wed Oct 9 23:46:49 PDT 2002

Hi there!

Building LFS-4.0 I have decided to use GRUB instead of Lilo, however I'm having some problems (I use grub-0.91).

The grub device map looks like this:
(fd0)   /dev/fd0
(hd0) /dev/hda
(hd1) /dev/hdb
(hd2) /dev/hde

LFS-4.0 is built on /dev/hda, host system is Suse-8.0 on /dev/hde.

I have partitioned /dev/hda in this way:
/dev/hda1 24MB        Boot      xfs
/dev/hda2 514MB       Swap    swap
/dev/hda3 40000MB    /           xfs

At grub prompt screen I type find /boot/grub/stage1 and it returns Error 15: file not found; I type root(hd0,0) and it returns Filesystem type unknown, partition type 0x83 and at least I type grub-install --root-directory=/boot /dev/hda and it returns df: warning: cannot read table of mounted filesystems No such file or directory.

I have copied in /boot/grub stage1 stage2 xfs_stage1_5.

Hope someone could help me.

Bye,
Luca

P.S. LFS book could contain even the Grub installation.

---