error with Perl-5.8.0 (cvs version of book)

Steve Jones sljones3 at ualr.edu
Wed Oct 9 07:20:01 PDT 2002

Michal Zachar wrote:

> Making all in man
> make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/sh-utils-2.0/man'
> Updating man page uname.1
> WARNING: `perl' is needed, and you do not seem to have it handy on your
>          system.  You might have modified some files without having the
>          proper tools for further handling them.  Check the `README'
> file,
>          it often tells you about the needed prerequirements for
> installing
>          this package.  You may also peek at any GNU archive site, in
> case
>          some other package would contain this missing `perl' program.
> make[2]: *** [uname.1] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/sh-utils-2.0/man'
> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/sh-utils-2.0'
> make: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2
> root:/usr/src/sh-utils-2.0#
>
> So I have decided to install Perl ahead of sh-utils only to
> strike another problem with perl:
> <snip>
> I have searched archives on lfs and in October there is already one
> report on this problem. I have not found any repply to it however.
>
> Anyone with solutions to this?
>
> TIA Michal Zachar

Did tou use the uname patch?  I see this every time I do.  the solution
is to touch the man file before the make.  during make a time stamp
compairson is done to see if the man page needs to be rebuilt from the
source and this requires perl.  The touch updates the timestamp to one
greater than uname.c and will cause this error to go away.

--
Steve Jones
sljones3 at ualr.edu
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org