minimum base system for creating lfs

Hannes Birnbacher mail at hannes-birnbacher.de
Wed Oct 9 03:51:06 PDT 2002

Antwort auf die Message vom 02 Okt 2002 von john smith:

> I have an old 2.5g drive in an old pc that I want to create
> my lfs system on. trouble is I have nothing to install my
> base system on except three drives 200/124/124mb.
>
> I can create a system with 400mb raid and a tiny swap
> partition but will this be enough to get developement stuff
> I need on there. if so what is the bare minimum packages I
> need (I'm using a Mandrake 7.2 cd I found)
>
> If 400mb is not enough can anyone suggest a better way to do
> the install?..

My host system is a SUSE 7.3 which came on one single CD. I
believe most of this space is used by KDE, Koffice and similar
stuff so I think, much less than the 700 MB of a CD is needed for
a working host system even after un-compressing.

Furthermore, I built my first LFS in March and used that one as a
host system now, to build LFS 3.3. LFS was a 86-MB-Tarball. I ran
into problems indeed and returned to Suse 7.3 as a host, but I am
sure that's because of a type somewhere and not a too small
system. So why don't you try to make a user-defined installation
of Mandrake or so, just of the essential things like gcc on your
200MB HDD. The only software which I ever needed besides the
very essential things is the Midnight Commander with it's great
copying and editing facilities, and you could leave out vim for
that;-).

Disclaimer: I am a beginner with LFS myself.

--
Etwas nicht zu können, ist kein Grund, es nicht zu tun (Alf)
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org