Textutils not statically linked (4.0)

Bob Kimmel rkimmel at princeton.edu
Tue Oct 8 11:27:26 PDT 2002

> Hi all
>
> Textutils do not work when in chroot mode. All other seems to
> work so far. I
> built textutils new several times, but no success. I checked cat with
> "file" from the original distibution. The output from file says:  "ELF 32
> bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), for GNU/Linux 2.2.0,
> dynamically linked (uses shared libs), not stripped.
>
> Because of this, Textutils can't work.
>
> Is it possible to link them statically "by hand" ? Or what lib I have to
> inject ? Any othe idea's ?

First, what is the exact command you have used to build textutils?  Did
you include the 'LDFLAGS=-static' in the make command?

Second, if you have done this, you say you have built the package
several times.  Are you starting with a clean source tree each time?
If the first time you ran make, you did so without 'LDFLAGS=-static',
then running it again doesn't cause a recompilation, even if you
include the static flag.  Running the configure script again
doesn't help either.  Just a guess, but maybe this is what happened.

> TIA and best regards

BK

Bob Kimmel

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org