what exactly means "Installation Dependencies"?

Dylan dylan at dylan.me.uk
Mon Oct 7 11:16:04 PDT 2002

On Monday 07 October 2002 16:00, you wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Now how is it possible that almost all binutil files from LFS
> were successfully compiled, without any error message, when some
> files mentioned as "Installation Dependencies" are missing in my
> host distribution? Are they
> - necessary not for installing binutils, but for running
> binutils

The "Dependencies" are:

A) other files (usually libraries) which are required for the programs in a
package to run. For example binutils depends on libc because it uses the
standard C (?and C++) functions, constants and data structures. The headers
(skeleton function defs etc.) must be present for compilation, but it's not
*essential* to have the actual binaries unless you are creating static
binaries yourself.
B) files or programs necessary for the compilation process itself, but not
needed for running the new binaries (like gcc, for example - you can't
compile without it, but don't need it for day to day work; or the header
files for the libraries.)
C) Are there others?

Dylan
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org