what exactly means "Installation Dependencies"?

Hannes Birnbacher mail at hannes-birnbacher.de
Mon Oct 7 08:00:15 PDT 2002

Hi,
have the LFS4 book and, after some problems, started to look into
matters thoroughly.
So I sucessfully compiled binutils-2.13 (static, following
Chapter 5) but I have the impression that one file was missing. I
therefore checked if all the files mentioned under "Binutils
Installation Dependencies" were present in my host distribution
(SuSE 7.3). I found out that Autoconf: autoconf, autoheader, and
Automake: aclocal, automake weren't there. All the others, when I
called them by typing, for example: "ar --version", answered with
their version number and there was mentioned SuSE in the version
string, so I am sure they are from my host distribution.

Now how is it possible that almost all binutil files from LFS
were successfully compiled, without any error message, when some
files mentioned as "Installation Dependencies" are missing in my
host distribution? Are they
- necessary not for installing binutils, but for running
binutils, or
- will they become necessary when re-compiling it dynamically, or
- will only a part of the binutils files be created, leaving out
some which would have needed, for example, autoconf, which would
explain my problem with the one missing file after compiling
binutils?

As I do have no professional training in Linux/Unix, I think I
had better understand what I read very exactly so I would be
grateful for any help.

The main problem, "where is the missing file and why is ist
missing", has been asked by me in an other posting today so
please do not bother to ask which file was it.

Thanks for any comment!

Hannes Birnbacher, Germany
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org