LILO config for multiple hard drive setup

Bob Kimmel rkimmel at princeton.edu
Sun Oct 6 22:43:06 PDT 2002

If it is anything like my system, you will have to change jumpers on
hdb to make it master instead of slave, after removing hda.  Not only
will the mbr be gone, but hdb will be renamed hda, meaning any
reference to hdb in /etc/lilo.conf will have to be changed.  But maybe
things have gotten better since the 33 MHz, Pentium MMX system to which
I am referring :-)  But, if things get completely fscked, one can
always run tom's root/boot disk (would be best to create it before
removing hda), and then boot from floppy.  There are version issues
between tom's root/boot disk and LFS, so I have had to rename the /boot
directory and create a new one.  But all the files needed to get the
system bootable again should be in one of two locations - (1) the
/etc directory after booting from floppy, and (2) wherever you choose
to mount /dev/fd0 after booting from floppy.  Once you get the system
bootable, you can restore the old /boot directory and use the version
of lilo that comes with LFS.

> P.S I just subscribed to this list minutes ago, if that makes any
> difference when posting a reply.

cc'ing to your address directly in case the subscription doesn't take
effect immediately...

BK

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org