Partitioning questions

Ben benhoskings at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 6 04:18:04 PDT 2002

dagmar at speakeasy.net wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Oct 2002, Richard Lightman wrote:
>

>>I am a bit suprised by the buffer-cache reads. AFAIK, the bus speed
>>is 66MHz, and the bus is 16 bits, so how can I get results over
>>133 MB/sec? The controller is AMD-756 [Viper] IDE (rev 3).
>

> Obnoxiously enough, that test merely test whether your CPU is fast enough
> to recieve the data by copying the same junk data from the buffer over and
> over--meaning it doesn't send anything across the bus at all.  On anything
> above a 486 it's a pretty useless do-nothing test now.

I want to believe you're wrong, and that I do have a special deluxe PCI
bus capable of 350 MB/s :D

/dev/hda:
  Timing buffer-cache reads:   128 MB in  0.36 seconds =355.56 MB/sec
  Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in  2.68 seconds = 23.88 MB/sec

/dev/hdc:
  Timing buffer-cache reads:   128 MB in  0.38 seconds =336.84 MB/sec
  Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in  2.88 seconds = 22.22 MB/sec

Both the drives are 60GB Maxtor Vipers [7200RPM] FYI.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org