The lfs-support FAQ Posting for 28 September - 03 October, 2002

Seth W. Klein sk at sethwklein.net
Sat Oct 5 10:51:51 PDT 2002

        The lfs-support FAQ Posting for 28 September - 03 October, 2002

   The following FAQs are new, changed, or have been asked on lfs-support in
   threads started from 28 September to 03 October 2002.

   This is by no means all of the FAQ or all of the relevant information in
   the FAQ. It is useful to read the entire FAQ before posting, either when
   asking or answering. You'll actually save yourself time.

   The FAQ is available from http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/faq/.

   1. Which list should I use for what topic?

   2. Are compiler warnings from GCC bad?

   3. I'm getting fatal errors about signal 11 (segmentation fault).

   4. I'm using optimizations. Can that be a problem?

   1. Which list should I use for what topic?

   The full answer is at
   http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/mailinglists/info.shtml, but here is a
   summary:

     * Send support questions to only lfs-support and blfs-support. Questions
       like "How do I..." and "I'm getting this error..." or anything else
       requesting help go to the support lists and no where else.

     * If you are not having trouble following the LFS Book itself, do not
       email lfs-support.

     * Unless you are suggesting an improvement to the LFS Book itself, do
       not email lfs-dev.

     * Only suggestions concerning the BLFS Book are acceptable on blfs-dev.

     * Things are a little different with blfs-support. Everything that
       doesn't fit one of the preceding lists fits there except for the price
       of beer and GNU versus BSD flamewars.

     * The price of beer, GNU versus BSD, and Microsoft versus Linux
       flamewars are restricted to lfs-chat. These days, hardware discussion
       should go there as well.

   Of special note is that if you mention XFree86, KDE, or GNOME you may be
   sure that your post does not belong on lfs-dev or lfs-support.

   2. Are compiler warnings from GCC bad?

   Short answer: no.

   Long answer: probably, but only to someone working on the package you're
   trying to compile. Mostly, everything will be fine unless make quits with
   an error.

   Here's an example:

   sk ~/tmp $ cat > Makefile
   main:
   gcc main.c
   sk ~/tmp $ cat > main.c
   void main() { exit(0); }
   sk ~/tmp $ make
   gcc main.c
   main.c: In function `main':
   main.c:1: warning: return type of `main' is not `int'
   sk ~/tmp $ ######## that worked ########
   sk ~/tmp $
   sk ~/tmp $ cat > main.c
   int main() { exxit(0) }
   sk ~/tmp $ make
   gcc main.c
   main.c: In function `main':
   main.c:1: parse error before `}'
   make: *** [main] Error 1
   sk ~/tmp $ ######## that failed ########
   sk ~/tmp $

   3. I'm getting fatal errors about signal 11 (segmentation fault).

   See http://www.bitwizard.nl/sig11/.

   4. I'm using optimizations. Can that be a problem?

   If you're getting errors and you're using optimization settings, that may
   be the problem. If you ask on the list and they can't figure it out
   immediately, they'll likely suggest trying it without optimizations, so
   just retry it without before asking. You'll be one step ahead of them :)

   Optimizations can cause many different even seemingly unrelated errors.
   They can cause configure scripts to fail. Optimizations that work for
   someone else may not work for you. Settings that used to work may break if
   you make the smallest, most innocent hardware change.

   (If you don't know what optimization settings are, don't worry, really you
   don't need to.)
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org