4.0-RC1: /dev/null permission denied in Chapter 6

Thomas Müller thmueller at myrealbox.com
Fri Oct 4 08:58:22 PDT 2002

Hi all,

Trying 4.0-RC1. All works well, also in chapter 6 until reaching Linux
header installation. Step "make include/linux/version.h" exited with error:
/dev/null Permission denied. I ignored it. Next in glibc step
"../glibc-2.2.5/configure ... " exits also with error: /dev/null Permission
denied.

I followed the book and did no deviation. My Host Distro is Knoppix 3.1, a
german run-from-CD Distro, with all needed development stuff.

I tried to echo some text to /dev/null, but I also get a "permission denied"
error.  So I removed all devices and recreated them with the makedev
script. Didn't help.

Any Ideas ?

Thanks, Thomas
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org