Error compiling BASH: cannot get hostname

Chris Keelan rufmetal at rogers.com
Sat Oct 5 10:04:20 PDT 2002

Working with the 4.0-RC1 version of the book and packages. It's my first
time through this so I appologize if the answer is obvious.

bash fails its build with the following error:

In file included from shell.h:41,
                 from shell.c:48:
externs.h:163: conflicting types for `gethostname'
/usr/include/unistd.h:734: previous declaration of `gethostname'
externs.h:196: conflicting types for `strncasecmp'
/usr/include/string.h:277: previous declaration of `strncasecmp'
make: *** [shell.o] Error 1

I have tried unsetting CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS before compiling but no joy.

Anyone seen this before?

~ C
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org