eth0

Richard Lightman richard at nezumi.plus.com
Fri Oct 4 06:56:51 PDT 2002

* benjamin lämmle <kate23 at freenet.de> [2002-10-04 14:34]:
> can you tell me the minor and major number of eth0
> thanx a lot
> i think it is not in "kernelsource!/Documentation/devices.txt
> but i dont know why

There are no major and minor numbers for network devices.
Network devices do not have an entry in /dev, because the
kernel handles them directly.

If you want to know what network devices are avilable, try:
ifconfig -a

If the device is not there, try looking for it in /proc/pci
(for pci network cards). There may be other clues in
/proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/*

Richard
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org