screen, no more ptys... devpts/devfs needed ?

Jim Murphy friartek at stargate.chicago.il.us
Thu Oct 3 14:02:51 PDT 2002

On Thu, Oct 03, 2002 at 11:25:23AM -0500, dagmar at speakeasy.net wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Oct 2002, Robert Ian Smit wrote:
>
> > * Ian Molton <spyro at f2s.com> [03-10-2002 02:09]:
> > > Its a pty multiplexer that allows you to log out, leavig stuff running,
> > > and log back into the same session later.

It's always nice to be able to pick up where you left off, saved my
butt an number of times.

> > Or to start a compilation on a headless machine from a desktop that
> > most likely will crash in the time it takes to finish the
> > compilation.
>
> You're both wrong.  Probably 80% of the people using screen are using it
> to run epic/ircII/BitchX.  ;)

;) Need to figure out what you ment here.

My experience has been that screen is an admin's best friend.  Working
multiple tasks on the same systems while working a dozen or more
systems at at time would require up to 10x more xterms on your desktop
to get the same job done.  Having 1 xterm per system, with up to 10
windows, makes life a lot easier.  Being able to split screens while
editing is another big help.  If my workstation died while testing
something else, just connect back to the systems and reconnect your
screen process, and your back in business.  Screen is your friend.
The nice thing is, that you can make it fit your configuration
requirements.

L8er,

Jim

--