File are too large.

dagmar at speakeasy.net dagmar at speakeasy.net
Thu Oct 3 09:24:14 PDT 2002

On Thu, 3 Oct 2002, Stef Bon wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm installing a LFS 3.3 version on a computer.
> Everything is going great, and I like LFS a lot.
> Gives me more understanding on how LINUX works.
>

> But my question is, I've installed all the base packages,
> en now do a chroot to de LFS directory.
> Is going ok, but now when I do a
>
> ls -al
>
> I get hughe numbers for the size:
>
> for example .bash_profile:
>
> -rw------- 1 0  0       17592186044416  Oct     3       08:15   .bash_profile

**WOW** That is LARGE

> Al the other files and directries have these hughe sizes too.
> I've installed a Reiserfs filesystem, maybe this has anything to do with it?

That's very possible.

> Compiling glibc-2.2.5 doesn't work, I get lots of messages about file's too
> large.

The only thing I can think of that might be causing errors like this would
be if your reiserfs tools were out of step with your kernel.  If you can
recompile your kernel with a reasonable expectation that the new one will
work, build kernel 2.4.19 onto your system, and update your reiserfs
tools.

...or take the easy way out and just use ext3.  :)

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org