minimum base system for creating lfs

Stephen Carrier stivc at mindspring.com
Tue Oct 1 19:52:17 PDT 2002

I think a simple solution would be to split your disk in two.  Since you
won't need the base system, make a new filesystem on its partition after
you are done making LFS.  Call it '/scratch' or something.  Later,
you can use your new system as the base, and build a newer system on
the partition used as your former base system.  Repeat indefinitely.
This sort of thing also works as a way to install distributions downloaded
over the internet, without a CDROM.  ("install from local hard disk").

I've been doing this through many re-installs, many distributions, and
am only now beginning to do my first LFS install.  This method allows
you to keep your old system running until you are happy with the new one.

--S