building lfs from a crippled computer???

Bryan Breen Bryan.C.Breen.1 at gsfc.nasa.gov
Tue Oct 1 13:06:54 PDT 2002

At 17:29 10/1/02 +0200, da02043 wrote:
>I have an *old* laptop collecting dust, and i have been wondering what it
>would take to get it up and running with LFS.
>
>The problem is it doesnt have enough diskspace to install a host distro
*and*
>lfs, and it doesnt have a cd-rom drive so i can build LFS from a boot cd.

There's a whole topic based on this covered in the LFS Hints:

http://hints.linuxfromscratch.org/hints/crosscompiling-x86.txt

The synopsis says it all:

"SYNOPSIS: How to compile LFS on a fast machine and use it on your old box"

If your laptop has a HD too small to host a temporary distro and create the
LFS distro, then odds are pretty good that the processor and memory in that
dust ball would probably take a week to compile bash alone. :)

Save yourself some time and agony, and learn some interesting stuff in the
process, by following the steps in that cross compiling hint.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org