PC Hardware - How do I know?

Brian Shortridge bshortridge at tellumat.com
Fri Nov 29 03:08:47 PST 2002

Hi

I'm a relative newbie to linux and have been installing lfs 4.0 using Red
Hat 7.1 as a base system. I've been following the book exactly and have now
gotten to the point of installing linux-2.4.19.

When running <make menuconfig>, it asks me all sorts of technical questions
regarding my hardware to which I don't know the answers. What I *do* know is
that I've got a Celeron 500 that I bought from my brother about two years
ago... by which time he'd lost all the documentation. It would appear that
the linux kernel would like to have a bit more info than that ;).

The book suggests that I find the .config file of the host system's linux
source tree, but I don't know where Red Hat 7.1 put it. Would this .config
file have accurate information regarding my PC's hardware?

Does anyone know of any free / open-source programs out there that can probe
my PC's hardware and give me info on it (like what type of motherboard I've
got, bus speeds, etc., etc.) that I could use from a boot disk? The
advantage of this to me would be that I'd get a better understanding of
exactly what lies under the hood of my PC so that I can use it more
effectively. Once I've got a base LFS system installed, I plan to kill Red
Hat and use my base to install another LFS system, this time playing around
with things like optimization. I'm sure a better understanding of my
hardware would help in this.

Otherwise, I suppose it'll just be a matter of trial and error (and opening
up the case to have a look-see).

Any help would be appreciated.

Brian

Notice:

This email transmission contains confidential information which is the property of the sender and if you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying or distribution of the contents of this e-mail transmission, or the taking of any action in reliance thereon or pursuant thereto, is strictly prohibited. Should you have received this email in error, please notify us immediately to arrange for the return of the documentation comprising this transmission. No warranty is given by Tellumat (Pty) Ltd that the integrity of this e-mail has been maintained throughout transmission, nor that the communication is free of viruses, interception or interference. In no event will Tellumat (Pty) Ltd be liable to any party for any direct, indirect, special or other consequential damages for any reliance or use of this email, including, without limitation, any lost profits, business interruption, loss of programs or other data on your information handling system or otherwise. Unless expre
ssly stated by the sender to be given on behalf of Tellumat (Pty) Ltd, any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender. Tellumat (Pty) Ltd disclaims liability for any unauthorised opinion or representation made by the sender on behalf of Tellumat (Pty) Ltd.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org