Optimizations

Matthew Burgess ca9mbu at eos.sunderland.ac.uk
Wed Nov 27 12:19:17 PST 2002

<nholland at tisys.org> wrote in message
news:20021127192115.GA3474 at tisys.org...
> Hallo everybody,
Hello,

> These two rather long questions can probably be summed up like this: If I
> build a LFS system on an Athlon box and never manually specify anything
for
> --build, nor manually set -march, what kind of code do I get? i386
> optimized code, which would work fine on other machines, or i686 code,
which
> would only run on my build machine (or other i686-class machines)?

As of the latest couple of gcc releases I believe it defaults to i686 if you
don't do anything else (although the ./configure routine should figure out
what you're really running).  What you want to do is have a look at the
cross-compiling hint available from the mirrors of
http://hints.linuxfromscratch.org.

Hope this helps,

Matt.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org