Error compiling bash

Rory Cantwell rorus69 at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 25 00:38:47 PST 2002

Hello all.
I keep getting errors when I try to build bash-2.05a.  My system is a
pentium 3 running asp-linux 7.3, which is basicly Red-Hat.  Maurice
suggested about a week ago that I might have incorrect permissions on my
files, but ive checked and I dont (thanks though Maurice).  Sorry about the
delay - ive been busy with exams. I have no idea what the problem is - my
computer has sometimes produced a similar error compiling other things for
my host system. I wonder if the problem is with my compiler? How would i fix
it? Any advice welcome! The output of my terminal is below:

bash-2.05a$ ls
aclocal.m4    config.h       findcmd.h    MANIFEST      siglist.c
alias.c       config.h.in    flags.c      mksyntax.c    siglist.h
alias.h       config.log     flags.h      NEWS          stamp-h
array.c       config.status  general.c    nojobs.c      stringlib.c
arrayfunc.c   config-top.h   general.h    NOTES         subst.c
arrayfunc.h   configure      hashcmd.c    parser-built  subst.h
array.h       configure.in   hashcmd.h    parser.h      support
AUTHORS       conftypes.h    hashlib.c    parse.y       syntax.h
bashansi.h    copy_cmd.c     hashlib.h    patchlevel.h  test.c
bashhist.c    COPYING        include      pathexp.c     test.h
bashhist.h    cross-build    input.c      pathexp.h     tests
bashintl.h    CWRU           input.h      pathnames.h   trap.c
bashjmp.h     dispose_cmd.c  INSTALL      pcomplete.c   trap.h
bashline.c    dispose_cmd.h  jobs.c       pcomplete.h   unwind_prot.c
bashline.h    doc            jobs.h       pcomplib.c    unwind_prot.h
bashtypes.h   error.c        lib          print_cmd.c   variables.c
bracecomp.c   error.h        list.c       quit.h        variables.h
braces.c      eval.c         locale.c     README        version.c
builtins      examples       mailcheck.c  redir.c       xmalloc.c
builtins.h    execute_cmd.c  mailcheck.h  redir.h       xmalloc.h
CHANGES       execute_cmd.h  make_cmd.c   shell.c       Y2K
command.h     expr.c         make_cmd.h   shell.h       y.tab.c
COMPAT        externs.h      Makefile     sig.c         y.tab.h
config-bot.h  findcmd.c      Makefile.in  sig.h
bash-2.05a$ ./configure --enable-static-link --prefix=/mnt/lfs/static
--with-cur
ses && make && make install

Beginning configuration for bash-2.05a for i686-pc-linux-gnu

checking for gcc... gcc
checking for executable suffix...
checking for object suffix... o
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for POSIXized ISC... no
checking for minix/config.h... no
checking for special C compiler options needed for large files... no
checking for _FILE_OFFSET_BITS value needed for large files... 64
checking for _LARGE_FILES value needed for large files... no
checking whether gcc needs -traditional... no
checking for ar... ar
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking for bison... bison -y
checking for inline... inline
checking whether byte ordering is bigendian... no
checking for preprocessor stringizing operator... yes
checking for long double... yes
checking for function prototypes... yes
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking for sys/types.h... yes
checking for sys/stat.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... yes
checking for string.h... yes
checking for memory.h... yes
checking for strings.h... yes
checking for inttypes.h... yes
checking for stdint.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking whether char is unsigned... no
checking for dirent.h that defines DIR... no
checking for sys/ndir.h that defines DIR... no
checking for sys/dir.h that defines DIR... no
checking for ndir.h that defines DIR... no
checking for opendir in -lx... no
checking whether time.h and sys/time.h may both be included... yes
checking for inttypes.h... (cached) yes
checking for unistd.h... (cached) yes
checking for stdlib.h... (cached) yes
checking for stdarg.h... yes
checking for varargs.h... yes
checking for limits.h... no
checking for string.h... (cached) yes
checking for memory.h... (cached) yes
checking for locale.h... yes
checking for termcap.h... yes
checking for termio.h... no
checking for termios.h... yes
checking for dlfcn.h... yes
checking for stddef.h... yes
checking for stdint.h... (cached) yes
checking for netdb.h... no
checking for grp.h... yes
checking for strings.h... (cached) yes
checking for sys/ptem.h... no
checking for sys/pte.h... no
checking for sys/stream.h... no
checking for sys/select.h... yes
checking for sys/file.h... yes
checking for sys/resource.h... yes
checking for sys/param.h... no
checking for sys/socket.h... no
checking for sys/time.h... yes
checking for sys/times.h... yes
checking for sys/wait.h... no
checking for netinet/in.h... no
checking for arpa/inet.h... no
checking for working alloca.h... yes
checking for alloca... yes
checking whether getpgrp takes no argument... yes
checking whether setvbuf arguments are reversed... no
checking for vprintf... yes
checking for _doprnt... no
checking for working strcoll... yes
checking return type of signal handlers... int
checking for __setostype... no
checking for wait3... yes
checking for mkfifo... yes
checking for dup2... yes
checking for select... yes
checking for getdtablesize... yes
checking for getgroups... yes
checking for gethostname... yes
checking for setdtablesize... no
checking for getpagesize... yes
checking for killpg... yes
checking for lstat... yes
checking for getpeername... yes
checking for sbrk... yes
checking for getrlimit... yes
checking for getrusage... yes
checking for gettimeofday... yes
checking for waitpid... yes
checking for tcgetpgrp... yes
checking for readlink... yes
checking for rename... yes
checking for bcopy... yes
checking for bzero... yes
checking for confstr... yes
checking for sysconf... yes
checking for pathconf... yes
checking for setenv... yes
checking for putenv... yes
checking for setlinebuf... yes
checking for setvbuf... yes
checking for setlocale... yes
checking for strchr... yes
checking for tcgetattr... yes
checking for uname... yes
checking for ulimit... yes
checking for tzset... yes
checking for siginterrupt... yes
checking for memmove... yes
checking for ttyname... yes
checking for times... yes
checking for getaddrinfo... yes
checking for gethostbyname... yes
checking for getservbyname... yes
checking for inet_aton... yes
checking for vsnprintf... yes
checking for snprintf... yes
checking for vasprintf... yes
checking for asprintf... yes
checking for fnmatch... yes
checking for isascii... yes
checking for isblank... yes
checking for isgraph... yes
checking for isprint... yes
checking for isspace... yes
checking for isxdigit... yes
checking for getcwd... yes
checking for strcasecmp... yes
checking for strerror... yes
checking for strpbrk... yes
checking for strtod... yes
checking for strtol... yes
checking for strtoul... yes
checking for strtoll... yes
checking for strtoull... yes
checking for strtoimax... yes
checking for strtoumax... yes
checking whether strtold is declared... yes
checking whether confstr is declared... yes
checking whether sbrk is declared... yes
checking whether printf is declared... yes
checking whether strsignal is declared... yes
checking for declaration of strtoimax... yes
checking for declaration of strtol... yes
checking for declaration of strtoll... yes
checking for declaration of strtoul... yes
checking for declaration of strtoull... yes
checking for declaration of strtoumax... yes
checking for libintl.h... yes
checking for gettext... yes
checking for textdomain... yes
checking for bindtextdomain... yes
checking for sys_siglist declaration in signal.h or unistd.h... no
checking for uid_t in sys/types.h... yes
checking type of array argument to getgroups... gid_t
checking for off_t... yes
checking for mode_t... yes
checking for uid_t in sys/types.h... (cached) yes
checking for pid_t... yes
checking for size_t... yes
checking for ssize_t... yes
checking for time_t... yes
checking for long long... long long
checking for unsigned long long... unsigned long long
checking return type of signal handlers... (cached) int
checking for char... yes
checking size of char... 1
checking for short... yes
checking size of short... 2
checking for int... yes
checking size of int... 4
checking for long... yes
checking size of long... 4
checking for char *... yes
checking size of char *... 4
checking for double... yes
checking size of double... 8
checking for long long... yes
checking size of long long... 8
checking for u_int... yes
checking for u_long... yes
checking for bits16_t... no
checking for u_bits16_t... no
checking for bits32_t... no
checking for u_bits32_t... no
checking for bits64_t... no
checking for ptrdiff_t... yes
checking whether stat file-mode macros are broken... no
checking whether #! works in shell scripts... yes
checking if dup2 fails to clear the close-on-exec flag... no
checking whether pgrps need synchronization... no
checking for type of signal functions... v7
checking for sys_errlist and sys_nerr... no
checking for sys_siglist in system C library... no
checking for _sys_siglist in signal.h or unistd.h... no
checking for _sys_siglist in system C library... no
checking whether signal handlers are of type void... no
checking for clock_t... yes
checking for sigset_t... yes
checking for quad_t... yes
checking for intmax_t... yes
checking for uintmax_t... yes
checking for size and type of struct rlimit fields... rlim_t
checking for struct termios.c_line... yes
checking for struct termio.c_line... no
checking if struct dirent has a d_ino member... no
checking if struct dirent has a d_fileno member... no
checking for struct winsize in sys/ioctl.h and termios.h... not found
checking for struct timeval in sys/time.h and time.h... yes
checking for struct stat.st_blocks... yes
checking for the existence of strsignal... no
checking if opendir() opens non-directories... no
checking whether ulimit can substitute for getdtablesize... yes
checking to see if getenv can be redefined... yes
checking for presence of POSIX-style sigsetjmp/siglongjmp... missing
checking whether or not strcoll and strcmp differ... no
checking for printf floating point output in hex notation... yes
checking if signal handlers must be reinstalled when invoked... yes
checking for presence of necessary job control definitions... missing
checking for presence of named pipes... present
checking POSIX termios... yes
checking whether termios.h defines TIOCGWINSZ... no
checking whether sys/ioctl.h defines TIOCGWINSZ... no
checking for TIOCSTAT in sys/ioctl.h... no
checking for FIONREAD in sys/ioctl.h... no
checking for speed_t in sys/types.h... no
checking whether getpw functions are declared in pwd.h... yes
checking for unusable real-time signals due to large values... no
checking for tgetent in -ltermcap... yes
checking which library has the termcap functions... using libtermcap
checking whether /dev/fd is available... standard
checking whether /dev/stdin stdout stderr are available... present
checking for default mail directory... /var/mail
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating Makefile
config.status: creating builtins/Makefile
config.status: creating lib/readline/Makefile
config.status: creating lib/glob/Makefile
config.status: creating lib/malloc/Makefile
config.status: creating lib/sh/Makefile
config.status: creating lib/termcap/Makefile
config.status: creating lib/tilde/Makefile
config.status: creating doc/Makefile
config.status: creating support/Makefile
config.status: creating examples/loadables/Makefile
config.status: creating examples/loadables/perl/Makefile
config.status: creating config.h
config.status: config.h is unchanged
gcc  -DPROGRAM='"bash"' -DCONF_HOSTTYPE='"i686"' -DCONF_OSTYPE='"linux-gnu"'
-DCONF_MACHTYPE='"i686-pc-linux-gnu"' -DCONF_VENDOR='"pc"' -DSHELL
-DHAVE_CONFIG_H   -I.  -I. -I./include -I./lib  -o mksyntax ./mksyntax.c
In file included from /usr/include/errno.h:36,
                 from ./mksyntax.c:28:
/usr/include/bits/errno.h:25:26: linux/errno.h: No such file or directory
make: *** [mksyntax] Error 1
bash-2.05a$

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org