Glibc 2.3.1 problems

Jules Colding JuBColding at yorkref.com
Sun Nov 24 02:18:18 PST 2002

Hi all,

I have been trying to build my own LFS system based upon LFS 4.0.
Following the instructions to the letter (according to the book) got me
there. I then tried to upgrade glibc to 2.3.1. I applied the attached
patch (functionally identical to 2.2.5 patch) and started to build the
system.

Everything was OK up and until I entered the chroot environment. In the
chroot environment I created the various directories, mounted proc,
executed MAKEDEV-1.7, copied the 2.4.19 kernel headers and otherwise
followed the instructions. I then compiled and installed glibc-2.3.1
which succeeded.

The problem is now that /static/bin/bash and a lot of the other
statically linked packages seg faults immediately upon invocation.

How can that be ? They are all statically linked, so they should'nt care
about which glibc is installed. Should they ??

Thanks a lot for any help :-)
jules