KERNEL - IMPORTANT

Matthew Burgess ca9mbu at eos.sunderland.ac.uk
Sat Nov 23 08:05:21 PST 2002

"Adrian Smarzewski" <adrians at aska.com.pl> wrote in message
news:20021123161809.19245278.adrians at aska.com.pl...
> What about changing to new kernel?
> See for example:
> http://www.securiteam.com/exploits/6E00F2060U.html

Thanks for pointing that out (studying a security related course at Uni this
type of thing is gonna come in handy I hope!).  However, I don't think the
book should stray from it's usual philosophy of omitting development
versions of packages (including the kernel itself).  If it were to do that
for this case, then arguments and flame wars would probably result between
getting package xyz upgraded too.  linux-2.4.20-rc3 is out now, so I'd
imagine that the final release won't be too far around the corner which is
when the upgrade would be normally done anyway.  Of course the usual
statement of "your system, your rules" applies equally here - so those that
think they're particularly vulnerable to such a threat are free to upgrade
as and when they see fit.

Regards,

Matt.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org